Organic acerola cherry has so many virtues beneficial to health, that we could say that it is a nutraceutical , that is, a therapeutic food. In addition to its consumption as candy or in jams, this fruit is used in traditional medicine to facilitate the recovery of asthenias or states of great weakness and is also used to help in the treatment of diarrhea and liver problems.
What is organic acerola cherry?
Also known as “cherry of the West Indies”, “cherry of Barbados”, “cherry of Jamaica” or “cherry of the Antilles”, names that it receives by its external similarity with the cherry. The organic acerola cherry is a fruit that grows from a small tree or shrub those measures between 3 and 6 m in height. It is a native to South America, Central America, and the Caribbean, but also grown massively in Vietnam and Brazil. The fruit is round with a diameter of between 1 and 2 cm and around 20 gr of weight. Its skin is smooth and red or yellow although it resembles a lot of cherry outside, inside it is totally different because it has segments and three tight and hard pits.
It is a juicy futa and very soft and bittersweet. Leave an acrid aftertaste and if it is not very ripe and leaves the mouth rough. After the binge, Kakadu or Murunga (Terminalia ferdinandiana), it is the edible fruit that contains the highest concentration of ascorbic acid (vitamin C). To get an idea, oranges contain 500 to 4,000 ppm (part per million) of vitamin C, while acerola contains between 16,000 and 172,000 ppm, or what is the same, 1,000 to 2,000 mg / 100 gr.
Organic acerola cherry is also very rich in antioxidants such as carotenes, bioflavonoids, and polyphenols (a large group of antioxidants with many health benefits, such as anti-inflammatory properties). This fruit also contains micronutrients such as magnesium, Vitamin, B1, B2, niacin, pantothenic acid, calcium, iron, and potassium.
Organic acerola cherry – Uses and properties
- Its use is recommended as prevention against the flu or common colds and also because it contains healing properties against the disease once declared.
- It is immune-stimulating: it reinforces the body’s defenses against germs and viruses by activating the body’s natural antibodies.
- It is a very powerful tonic in cases of physical stress, fatigue, nervous exhaustion, weakness, anorexia, cachexia, etc. It can also be taken in cases of anxiety or depression.
- It is detoxifying. The detoxifying power of acerola, is able to cleanse the body and is a very advisable fruit for people who are leaving an addiction, such as smoking or drinking because its properties are not limited to vitamin C. It has a very high amount of phosphorus, calcium and B vitamins, in addition to antioxidants such as flavonoids and anthocyanins, which give it the ability to stop the destruction of cell membranes.
- Organic acerola cherry helps the formation of collagen in bones, cartilage, teeth, skin, and blood vessels and in all connective tissues, or connective tissues. It is a remineralizer for multiple indications: growth, pregnancy, lactation, fractures healing, demineralization.
- Organic acerola cherry has moisturizing properties. It helps us keep our skin and hair hydrated. Due to the high content of mucilage and proteins, acerola proved to have the quality of hydrating the organism, this is a property that in turn promotes capillary integrity
- It has fungicidal properties. The same properties that make acerola a good ally against bacteria and viruses, it is against fungi, so we can say that it is a great fungicide
- It has diuretic properties. It activates the liver for its pectin content and its acidity. Pectin is a vegetable polysaccharide that is dissolved in the juice of many ripe fruits.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties. That’s because of the anthocyanins that have been found in it. This quality helps to cure migraines or headaches, in the same way, that an aspirin or an ibuprofen helps us.
- It helps to a better coagulation of the blood and accelerates the healing of wounds.
Another anti-inflammatory effect is on the skin in case of herpes. Acerola helps reduce the effects and symptoms of herpes, such as pain, redness, and swelling of the skin. It also helps reduce mucus, which is one of the causes of the multiplication of the herpes virus. It has to tone and stimulating properties
Organic acerola cherry as therapy
It also stimulates the elimination of certain allergic reactions. It has been observed that those individuals with a high consumption of Vitamin C tend to have less allergic reactions. As well as it helps in respiratory affections, such as asthma, which in many cases is an allergic disorder.
Virus and bacteria:
It is an immuno-stimulant that strengthens the body’s defenses against germs and viruses by activating antibody synthesis. Many scientists believe that free radicals and gradual failures of the immune system are the two phenomena that have greater responsibility in the aging process of the human being, that is, the one that causes the most Acerolaoxidation damage. Acerola has very high antioxidant properties. The daily consumption of Vitamin C helps to prevent degenerative diseases such as Parkinson’s disease since it is vital for the maintenance and good mental functioning of individuals.
It is a powerful tonic useful in cases of great physical fatigue or nervous exhaustion, weakness, anorexia, cachexia. Acerola serves as a relief for stress and can be taken when you feel exhaustion, depression or anxiety. Acerola helps produce anti-stress hormones such as melatonin that helps regulate sleep cycles. The vitamin C that has the acerola also (as we have said previously) is basic for the formation and maintenance of a protein called collagen. This is the basic protein for the skin and all the connective tissues. You need certain levels of collagen for a good functioning of a healthy liver and the maintenance of the gland that secretes adrenaline, especially during periods of high stress.