The risk of falling increases with age and time of year. Winter is the worst enemy of our elders. Winter weather conditions and pavement conditions increase the risk of falls in older people. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), every year there are 37.3 million serious falls that require medical attention. 75% of cases occur in people over 65 years. Check out the home health care Austin TX services.
FALLS IN THE ELDERLY
As we get older our gait becomes shorter, we lift the feet less, the movements become stiffer and it is more expensive to maintain balance. In addition, our bones and muscles wear out and we lose our ability to see, react and hear. Any of these disabilities are risk factors to suffer a fall. The falls are notable for their frequency and represent the second leading cause of death worldwide due to accidental or unintentional injuries. It is estimated that around 30% of those over 65 have ever fallen. After 75 years, the percentage rises to 35%. Have a look at what home health care Austin TX is offering!
One out of every three falls of people over 65 years of age occurs outside the home. During the winter month this risk increases. The weather of this time is a great enemy for our elders. Strong winds blow, the rains increase and snow and ice appear. These factors contribute to causing the elderly to slip and fall to the ground. The body of an elderly person is tremendously sensitive to accidents and significantly influences the quality of life and health of this.
HOW TO PREVENT FALLS OF THE ELDERLY IN WINTER
Suffering a fall at a certain age can lead to several complications. Fractures and wounds can suppose the immobility of the elderly person. In the most extreme cases, they may have to undergo surgery. In-home health care Austin TX we want to give you the key tips to avoid falls in the elderly of your home:
General advice by home health care Austin TX:
- Periodically review the sight and hearing of the major with the ophthalmologist and the otorhinolaryngologist.
- Have the older person exercise regularly, adapted to their physical conditions and with moderate intensity.
- Wear non-slip shoes and avoid the use of stairs.
- Do not wear sandals, flip-flops or heels.
- Take a balanced diet to avoid overweight, obesity or malnutrition.
- Suggest that if you do not feel safe when walking, use a cane or walker, this will increase your base of support.
- In case of any strange symptom, do not self-medicate. Consult the doctor about the side effects of the drugs.
- Hire someone who can supervise the elderly, accompany him wherever he is and check that he does not suffer any fall.
Tips for going out
- Establish a known itinerary to go for a walk.
- Walk through illuminated areas, signposted and that comply with universal accessibility standards. The works, the potholes, and the unevenness are a risk of falling.
- Make sure that the oldest leaves home always accompanied. When the weather conditions are adverse, stay at home.
- Very alert with traffic. Look well before crossing and respect the traffic lights.
- Do not let the elder carry any excessive burden. Always leave a free hand to hold in case of fall.
- When you use public transport, try to make the elderly feel or have a point of support.
- Use comfortable footwear and clothing appropriate for the weather at the time.
- In case the older one goes out on the street alone, have him carry an identification card indicating who to notify in case of an accident.
- If the older one wears glasses or headphones that he does not leave at home.
Advice for the home by home health care Austin TX
- Illuminates the house well to avoid trips. The night lights in the corridors, dining room, bedroom, and bathroom are the best option.
- Make sure the carpets are securely fastened to the floor.
- Put non-slip bands on the edge of the stairs and in the shower.
- Install handrails in the bathroom. You will facilitate the use of the bathtub, shower, and toilet. In addition, it is very advisable to change the bathtub for a shower.
- Place all the objects that may need the largest at your fingertips, neither too high nor too low.
- If you cook the largest, use the bottom stoves to avoid burns.
- Never put the handles of the pans facing the person who cooks.
All home health care Austin TX caregivers have demonstrable experience, valid references, and specific training in-home help. In addition, they will prevent your elders from feeling alone and will help them improve their quality of life. Learn about our services! Although we liked the caregiver we have chosen, it is always advisable to set a trial period of between 1 and 3 months, so we will see the evolution of the relationship between the elderly and the caregiver. We must make sure that our eldest is in the best hands and so we can trust and stay 100% calm.
Benefits of home health care Austin TX:
In-home health care Austin TX we are among the most recommended in the sector. We are specialists in the selection of caregivers for the elderly and we help you find the ideal caregiver for your case. We have a strict selection process that only exceeds 19% of candidates. All home health care Austin TX caregivers are empathetic, professional and passionate about caring for the elderly. In addition, they have the official degree and the necessary experience to guarantee a professional and quality service. We also have specialized caregivers in all types of dementias and pathologies. You can ask for a free quote without any commitment. Home health care Austin TX social coordinator will help you find the most suitable candidate to take care of your elder, all through a free assessment and a personal interview with the final candidates. Find out our services!